If you are in business you need to be on LinkedIn. This is also true if you want to be in business. Meaning, if you are in school … now is the PERFECT time to get started on LinkedIn. No matter where you are in your career NOW is the time to spend some time insuring your LinkedIn profile describes you, your goals, your accomplishments and what you bring to the table.
Your goal should be to help the reader decide:
Do I want to do business with this person?
There should be no debate about this point. Your career may depend upon it.
LinkedIn has become the de facto place for business people to connect. People you want to do business with are on LinkedIn. They will look for you there too. Depending upon what they see they may decide to go all in with you or take a pass on you. Your LinkedIn profile says a lot about you… or it should. Taking the time to insure you put your best foot forward is time well spent.
If you still need convincing:
The goal is to make sure you Stand Out, Inform and Engage.
The ultimate goal is to help you Stand Out In Your Career
A few initial tips for your profile
Current Picture (It should tend towards a professional look)
Current Role (Be candid if you are looking for your next challenge)
Current goals / deliverables (What are you doing now / What have you accomplished)
Degrees / Awards / Activities
Professional Associations / Clubs / Non-Profit Work
Recommendations (Ask for them AND Reciprocate)
Endorsements (Appreciate them)
Have a Call to Action (This can help people move in the way you prefer)
- How To Create A LinkedIn Profile That Will Actually Benefit Your Career (elitedaily.com)
- Tips for Creating a LinkedIn Profile that Gets Noticed (personalbrandingblog.com)
- Professional Social Networking; 9 Reasons Why You Must Update Your LinkedIn Profile Today (houstonrecruiterspot.wordpress.com)
- Tips For Creating A LinkedIn Profile That Gets Noticed (business2community.com)
- If Rajinikanth had a LinkedIn Profile, It Would Look Like This! (socialsamosa.com)
- Spruce Up Your LinkedIn Profile in 5 Easy Steps (business2community.com)
- 6 Ways to Attract Recruiters to Your LinkedIn Profile (mashable.com)
- Is the Resume Still Relevant? (personalbrandingblog.com)
- How to Strategically Use Buzzwords on LinkedIn (money.usnews.com)
- Six Things Every Advisor Must Have on Their LinkedIn Profile (valuewalk.com)